Thursday, June 6, 2019

The Hunt Begins!

Hi everyone!  Have you watched any of Jenny's tutorials over at the Missouri Star Quilt Company?  She makes everything look so easy and fun!  I saw her tutorial on the Hunter's Star and knew I wanted to give it a go.  I love the "pattern in a pattern" thing and just the whole look of it!

I put it out to some friends and one or two might be giving it a try.  I couldn't wait to give it a go!  My plan was to use fabric I have on hand, and I thought this would look so beautiful in batiks!  Only ... somehow I grabbed my Civil War reproduction fabrics instead and started cutting.  How does that even happen?  Oh well.  Very fitting, since it's an old pattern!

I watched Jenny two or three times, printed out the block layouts, and got to work.  Before I knew it, I had my first "A Block" and a 4-Patch.

IMG_8623HuntersStarBlocks

Then I tried a "B Block" and another 4-Patch, so I could start to see the pattern.

IMG_8634HuntersStarBlocks

If you squint and look at the center of that photo above, you can see two arrows formed - one in the muslin, one in the prints.  Can you see it?  As I get things together, it will become more evident!

There are a lot of half-square triangles (HSTs) involved, and Jenny has you use her "4 at a time" method. You put your two fabrics right sides together, sew along all four sides, then slice in half diagonally - twice.  After that, she has you square the HSTs up:

IMG_8638TrimmingUpHuntersStarBlocks

It's a lot of work, but wow, does it make the blocks go together SO nicely!

Before I knew it, I was at this stage:

IMG_8640HuntersStarBlocks

Very happy with how it's coming together!  Tomorrow, I'll share some tips for making what could be a rather challenging, tedious quilt!  Stay tuned!

Thanks for reading!
KZK

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by; please leave a comment!