Saturday, June 29, 2019

Forgotten Pyramids

Many thanks to my friends for helping me name this one.

IMG_9177ForgottenPyramidsReadyToQuilt
Forgotten Pyramids

It was another one in the stack of "UFOs" that really needed to be quilted, bound, and hung! I remember piecing it ... I just can't exactly remember when it was. Yikes. Let's just say it was quite a while ago!  All of the triangles are from fabric samples a friend and I used to get when we lived in Korea from a shop in Texas.  I think I pieced it after we left there ... maybe while we were living on Fort Riley, KS?  '97?  '98?  Somewhere around there!

I quilted a diamond grid on it, then quilted a free-form rope in the borders. I decided to do the "sew the binding to the back, then bring it to the front to machine stitch" method. Sewing from the FRONT. I am SO MUCH happier doing it this way!

IMG_9194ForgottenPyramidsBinding
Sew to the back first, then bring it around to the front

Sure, my stitching shows, but it's all part of the "framing", right? I used the same thread I quilted with, so ... whatever. I'm happy.

I put little sleeves on the back that sewed right into the binding. I'll slip a tiny dowel through it to hang.

IMG_9193ForgottenPyramidsHangingSleeves

Yes, I had to hand-stitch the bottoms, but it takes like 5 minutes.

Action shot:

IMG_9196ForgottenPyramidsBinding

I sewed as close to that folded edge as I could.  So much easier for me!

Here's a close up of a corner:

IMG_9197ForgottenPyramidsBindingDetail

Nice and crisp. Whew.

For the record, I don't think there's a "wrong" way to do the binding. This just is working best for me right now!

All done and ready to hang:

IMG_9200ForgottenPyramids

I just don't quite know where that will be yet, so it's hanging out with the LPs:

IMG_9246ForgottenPyramids

It really feels great to finish some of these old projects! This one has such a nice "warm Autumn" feel to it.  It will fit in a number of places!

Thank you all for reading! I truly appreciate it!
KZK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by; please leave a comment!