Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I'm Getting There!

I decided I really needed to rig up a design wall for the Gettysburg Battle Flag blocks.  I usually tack a piece of cotton batting up above one set of my closet doors (the down side of having window-filled studio space - lack of wall space!) but since these are on paper foundations ... the blocks won't "stick".  Normally the cotton fabrics will grab the batting well enough to stay up long enough for me to play around with the blocks and visualize everything coming together - but not paper!  I couldn't come up with a better way to see my blocks together, though, so I just pinned them up.  Here's what I have so far:

IMG_2850 Gettysburg Battle Flag quilt

I'm totally excited!!! It's really starting to come together.

Having the blocks up where I can see them will help me chose the "right" layout, get a handle on what fabs may or may not be dominating the quilt, and know what size "extras" I should add to keep a good balance. I'm so excited!!!

Trace asked another great question. Have I told you all how much I love questions?  I do.  I have a couple more I'll get to, also, but Trace asked, "Y seams?" Why not?  LOL.  Sorry.  I had to write that. Y seams, or inset seams, are basically where 3 seams meet. Like mitered corners (picture a frame). Many people (like whoever wrote the info at this link) will tell you it's simple to do, just mark well, take your time, blah, blah, blah - but really: they're evil. Especially if the "frame" part is pieced like the equilateral triangle border I put around that one flag. And in semi-miniature.  Like so:

IMG_2812 Gettysburg Battle Flag quilt block
What was I thinking?!?!?!

All the seams involved in the border didn't help, either, but now that I've done it... it's done.  Won't do it again any time soon.  And I mean it.

Thanks for asking, Trace!  And thank YOU for reading!


PS:  And many, many thanks for the kind comments left here, emailed and posted on FaceBook about the Flying Geese and Booter!  He was one very special pup-friend!

3 comments:

  1. It is coming right along nicely! What do you mean by what size "extras" to add to keep a good balance? Does that mean you'll be adding a border between the squares or is it something to do with the squares themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no questions today, but the block on the bottom left corner is my favourite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serious gorgousness there. You are one motivated lady!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by; please leave a comment!