That was very enjoyable and I will definitely do a "free-form" quilt again! Perhaps soon!
Over there on the left-hand side of the photo, you can see the "Dancing Stars" quilt on the shelf behind Dave. I mentioned that I needed to put borders on it - perhaps my least favorite part of this whole thing. I have a serious hang-up with large or long pieces of fabric; I'm not sure why. Anyway, this is now called "Wind Farm" (with thanks to my husband!) AND I actually have the borders on it!
|Messy, messy, MESSY!!!|
The inner, thinner border is the same purple used in that one little accent star. Once I measured for that, I realized I didn't have enough of any one of the black and whites... or the aqua... to do a second border! GASP! But I wanted one ... so I set it on the back burner for a day or two and worked on sewing the binding on that second blue and white table runner. I promised to show you the clippy things I use; here you go:
The hair clips hold the binding on as you sew - without poking you! Yea! And if you buy them as hair clips rather than quilting clips, they're a ton cheaper. They come in black finish or plain nickel.
And they come in small and regular. I have both - the small ones are great for minis. Or for holding your hair back while you're sewing.
Now about the borders for "Wind Farm" ... since I didn't have enough aqua or one of the black and whites, I improvised!
Sometimes improvising gives me better results than the directions. I'm seriously happy with how it came out! And if my sister re-paints her bedroom, it could be hers!
I'm also back to working on my "Frenzy" blocks! You can see what I mean here! And here! And ... oh, my! I've posted a lot about it. Just enter "frenzy" in the search box at the top of my blog if you're interested! ☺
Pix on that soon! Thanks for reading!