Monday, June 6, 2011

Lots of Progress!

I've made great progress on a lot of projects in the past couple of days!  As I mentioned the other day, I finished piecing the modern Log Cabin top - here's a look at it:

DSCN1612 Modern Log Cabin

That was very enjoyable and I will definitely do a "free-form" quilt again! Perhaps soon!

Over there on the left-hand side of the photo, you can see the "Dancing Stars" quilt on the shelf behind Dave. I mentioned that I needed to put borders on it - perhaps my least favorite part of this whole thing. I have a serious hang-up with large or long pieces of fabric; I'm not sure why. Anyway, this is now called "Wind Farm" (with thanks to my husband!) AND I actually have the borders on it!

IMG_2459 Messy Studio Shot
Messy, messy, MESSY!!!

The inner, thinner border is the same purple used in that one little accent star. Once I measured for that, I realized I didn't have enough of any one of the black and whites... or the aqua... to do a second border! GASP! But I wanted one ... so I set it on the back burner for a day or two and worked on sewing the binding on that second blue and white table runner. I promised to show you the clippy things I use; here you go:

DSCN1609 binding

The hair clips hold the binding on as you sew - without poking you! Yea! And if you buy them as hair clips rather than quilting clips, they're a ton cheaper.  They come in black finish or plain nickel.

DSCN1610 binding

And they come in small and regular. I have both - the small ones are great for minis. Or for holding your hair back while you're sewing.

Now about the borders for "Wind Farm" ... since I didn't have enough aqua or one of the black and whites, I improvised!

IMG_2487 Wind Farm top
"Wind Farm"

Sometimes improvising gives me better results than the directions.  I'm seriously happy with how it came out!  And if my sister re-paints her bedroom, it could be hers!

I'm also back to working on my "Frenzy" blocks!  You can see what I mean here!  And here!  And ... oh, my!  I've posted a lot about it.  Just enter "frenzy" in the search box at the top of my blog if you're interested!  ☺

Pix on that soon!  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Wind Farm is a great name for that quilt! I love it. Well done Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wind Farm is the perfect name for that quilt! I love the purple border on it! Dave really should take it easy, he works way too hard!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by; please leave a comment!