Thursday, March 12, 2009

Frenzy Questions

Hi everyone!  I'd like to thank all of you who have been leaving comments or are sending emails about the process of the Frenzy quilt!  Today, I thought I'd address a couple of the questions!

Easy one first - what am I going to use for the back?  I've been thinking about that one.  Honestly, I have so much yardage of some of the scraps I used, that it will probably be chunks of what's on the front.  Pieced.  Same goes for the binding.  Unless I change my mind.  :)

The other question I want to try to address is why I cut up my phone book and am sewing on it. Oh, that's easy, too.  Nancy told me to!  LOL.  Just kidding.  Sort of.

I cut my pages 6.5 x 6.5" - the size I wanted my unfinished blocks.  Those papers now serve as a temporary foundation, so things don't get "wonky" or pulled out of shape.  It's basic paper foundation piecing; you can find more info here if you're interested!  Here's a shot of a typical "inner ladder" on one of my blocks:

See how I don't have to be too careful about trimming?  It's very freeing.  :)  Just so you cover all pieces by a quarter inch with the next "rail" -- like so:

Since I was adding a dark strip in the block above, I didn't bother trimming the excess.  If it was a real light piece, I would.  There was a time when I'd trim them regardless... but that would be un-Frenzy like behavior.

So just line a bunch of those babies up and GO!

Your outer "rails" don't have to be exact, either.  After all my rails were sewn on, and the blocks were given a nice pressing, I just went at the blocks with my 6.5 by ... whatever-inch ruler.

And look below to see how nice and square they come out!

This is way too fun!  

Over the weekend, I'll show you what I've got so far!  

Thanks for the comments!  Thanks for the emails!  And thank you for reading!
KZK

3 comments:

  1. I am way out of my element here - it looks like fun but I think I would have to have a one on one tutoring session or two or two hundred before I could figure it all out.

    Can't wait to see the finished frenzy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for explaining about the phone book! I couldn't figure that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I still have no idea what you're on about but it looks good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by; please leave a comment!