Thursday, September 20, 2018

Greens And Yellows

Greens and yellows.  My worst color area.  A reminder - I am clinically color blind - and I can't differentiate between many greens and yellows.  And golds.  So why have I been playing with them?  I  blame  thank my friend Denise!

Denise (who, ahem, needs to update her blog!) inspired me by posting a photo of the quilt found at this link to her FaceBook page.  Oooh.  Sunflowers.  Aren't they yellow?  Or gold?  And aren't their leaves green?  Yeah, whatever!  I decided I had to do some version of the quilt - and decided to go for a table runner.  And heaven forbid I should have looked at the tutorial -- I thought I'd just wing it.  I also challenged myself to use my scrap strips as much as possible.

I settled on bright greens, any neutrals, a yellow/gold marble-y looking scrap, and a mottled deep brown.  As I visually dissected the quilt photo, I saw 4-patches, 9-patches, and star points.  I started sewing and cutting and ...

IMG_4162WonkySunflowerBlock
9- and 4-patches made with 1.5" strips, centers and background of star points 2.5" 

Please ignore the pink stripes - that's my pressing surface.  But cool!  This could work!  Only rather than do nice, orderly "sunflowers"/stars, I decided to go wonky.  Why?  I could tell you that it's because sunflowers aren't perfect, but we all know it's because I didn't have to measure anything and it's a darn sight easier.  There.  I said it.  And it's really fun.

I realized somewhere along the line that I don't have many green scrap strips, nor do I have many yellow/gold strips.  I don't have much green, gold, or yellow fabric, actually - please see opening paragraph for a possible explanation.  This made me limit my table runner to three blocks - because I will not cut more strips for this!!!  ... unless absolutely necessary.

IMG_4167WonkySunflowerTablerunner

Once I had the blocks made and the 9-patches for the sashing all set, I pondered the sashing itself.  My initial plan was to cut solid chunks 3.5" x 6.5".  Since I don't have 3.5" scrap strips, but have an abundance of neutral 1.5" strips ... I pieced them.

IMG_4168WonkySunflowerTableRunner

I think it adds interest!

IMG_4169WonkySunflowerBlock

Before I knew it, I was almost there!

IMG_4171WonkySunflowerTableRunner

I think this is pretty good for someone who has been spending the mornings out in the yard with her husband and a chain saw.  Frankly, I am surprised I can still move, but that's a story for another day.

Here's the top, all pieced!

IMG_4193WonkySunflowerTableRunner

I did have to cut the green border fabric, I admit.  I thought adding little 4-patches at the corners would be fun.  Can you believe that in doing so, I actually did use up all of the green 1.5" strips?  Well, OK, the bright green ones.  But still!  Yay!

As of now, it's all sandwiched together with batting and backing:

IMG_4194WonkySunflowersTableRunner

It's in my Studio, waiting for me to do the quilting and binding.  I won't have time to work on it today, unfortunately.  The Project Manager from the remodeling crew is coming today to lay out Plan B.  Plan B involves them ripping out everything the first crew they sent did and starting over.  Uhh ... yeah.  It's that bad.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Sigh, still dreaming of the day when I might be able to make even a tiny placemat by quilting:( That is beautiful. Totally understand the color bling thing - hubbie can't tell blues apart for anything:)

    Good luck with the project. Hopefully second time is the charm instead of the third.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your fabric choices. Your work is always so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by; please leave a comment!