Sunday, January 5, 2020

When Life Gives You Placemats ...

... turn them into a tote.  If you don't like them.  Or something like that!

So ... as many of you know, I have a slight addiction to watching video tutorials for quilts and bags while I'm on the treadmill.  I watched one by Donna Jordan for placemats and I thought, "Oh, I have JUST the charm square packs for those!"

I got the tops of the placemats together, more or less, and realized they were far, far from perfect.  I mean "FAR".  Not being one to waste fabric, I wondered what I could do with them.  I needed a really big tote and thought I could just wing one using the panels I came up with from the tutorial.  Right?

Here's the outside:

IMG_1992TravelTote

It has a zip top, webbing straps, and a little webbing/D-ring combo.

IMG_1993TravelToteOutsideDetail

It's perfect for attaching your keys, a water bottle, travel dog dishes ... whatever!

Here's a look inside:

IMG_1994TravelToteInside

One side has a zip pocket (I've watched a lot of zipper tutorials and figured I could give it a go!) ...

IMG_1996TravelToteInsideZip

... and the other side has a huge pocket, split down the middle forming two pockets:

IMG_1995TravelToteInsidePockets

I took it on our latest trip and was thrilled with how much stuff I can pack in it! (I'm not known for packing lightly!)

It was mighty fun "winging it", and turning the placemats I didn't care for into a cute, kicky bag!  I had to wash it after our trip and was pleased with how nicely it washed up!

Thanks so much for reading!
KZK

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by; please leave a comment!