Friday, January 17, 2020

Square In A Square

Hi everyone!  Today, I thought I'd share a really sweet table runner/topper I made for my mom for Christmas.  The best part was getting to give it to her in person - though a little early.  (We made the trip out to see her earlier in December!)  I used a new-to-me technique I've been wanting to try and it was totally fun!  I also used some fabric I've been saving for something special, so the whole thing gave me great joy!

I'm calling it "Square In A Square" - you can see the whole tutorial at this link.

Basically, you place a smaller square of fabric in a larger one, right sides up, and fold in the sides.  You stitch a quarter inch in from the fold, then press it open.  Now do the top and bottom.  This way, there is much less cutting AND no raw seams in the block.  (You will have raw seams as you join block to block, though.)

IMG_2164SquareInASquareBack

How cool is that? Fast and easy! Bulky as all get out along those folded seams, but I planned to work around them as I quilted.

My top was together in no time:

IMG_2166SquareInASquareTop

There are three major scenes in the featured fabric, so I cut each one four times.  I kept each "view" in a row, but turned it a quarter turn as I went down the length of the quilt.

IMG_2165SquareInASquareDetail

Is that fabric cute or what?!?

I kept the quilting simple, just outlining my featured fabric squares; here are my three "scenes":

IMG_2196SquareInASquareDetail
IMG_2195SquareInASquareDetail
IMG_2194SquareInASquareDetail

I did a "flip and turn" method, rather than adding a binding, to keep things simple. I also quilted about 1/8 of an inch in from the edge for detail, interest, and to sew up the "turning hole".

IMG_2192SquareInASquareQuiltCompleted

I was really happy with how it came out - and I think my mom really liked it!

Thanks for reading!
KZK

3 comments:

  1. It's just beautiful and I love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute and festive table topper. That block sure is easy to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this square...I love it and have just completed two of them...Very very please and so easy.
    I started teaching myself to quilt Spring 2019....I have up my latest throw today
    at http://downhomeinnc.blogspot.com.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by; please leave a comment!