My first step was to quilt 1/4" inside the "peaks and valleys", or whatever you'd like to call them.
I used my walking foot for that. I'm in my comfort zone with the walking foot... and realized I need to break out of that habit and get some practice with my BSR, doing free-motion quilting.
|Don't fear the BSR!|
You know... like swirling Kansas winds! I think I should have made them larger or not as "tight". But it's practice.
I used a variegated King Tut thread -- Sands of Time. LOVE the King!
Here's what I made up for the background areas:
I like how that came out better than the swirls - but the outer areas are always easier for me than the middles. And it was WAY easier to see where I was going and had been!
I decided to use the Kansas fabric for the binding:
I've started winding my binding around one of my antique spools - just to keep it tidy. Of course, I usually knock it on the floor and it unwinds... but HA! I have a cool solution for that now! Check this out:
Yes, put it in a bowl/pan! But not just ANY bowl! A MAGNETIC bowl!
It's from the auto parts department. I'd like a smaller bowl, but this is what I found; I knew I'd find a cool use for it! The spool has JUST enough nails in it to make it "stick" to the magnets, but it also just easily unwinds as I sew!!! VERY, VERY cool!!!
I'll be sharing pix of Donna's runner with you, too - I always love seeing different interpretations of a pattern and in different color ways! As for now ... I need to get the hand part of the binding done!
Thanks for reading!