Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Golf Anyone?

So... yeah, I know.  Let's dispense with the "where have I been"s and just get right to the post, OK?  Let's go!

My husband is an avid golfer and has a great collection of golf hats from all over the place.  Oh, not a "sit them on a shelf" type of collection, he wears them.  And wears them hard.  I mean - he golfs when it's over 100 degrees out there, so yeah, they get kind of funky.  So I wash them, he wears them ... and I wash them, he wears them ... and before we know it, they really have out-lived their usefulness.  But some of the logos are just SO COOL - so what to do?  I thought long and hard on that for a while, then it hit me.  If I can cut logos out of t-shirts and make a really cool quilt, can't I do something with golf hat logos?  ...except that they're quite crunchy and hard and embroidered on thick, thick canvas ...

So how about a bag!?!?

I cut all the logos out, grabbed some heavy-duty canvas, and started playing around.

IMG_4991 Golf ball bag

Seriously, some are just way too cool to toss out.

I stitched them onto the canvas, grabbed a cute golf-themed cotton fab for a lining, and made a drawstring bag:

IMG_5006 Golf ball bag

Mike thought it would be great to hold "range balls". I'm not a golfer myself, so I only have a vague idea what that means, but that's OK!  I was just thrilled to have a purpose for the cute designs!  :)

IMG_5007 Golf ball bag detail

After I had the bag together, I thought it would be convenient to have a D-ring at the top, so Mike could hook it to his golf bag with a carabiner clip.  It would have been better had I come up with that idea an hour earlier than I did ... but it all worked out.

IMG_5010 Golf ball bag

I did some ripping, inserting, then re-stitching.  It was worth it - the D-ring is very handy.

IMG_5012 Golf ball bag
When I inserted the D-ring, I also inserted one of my KZK tags.  Upside down.
But if it's hooked to your golf bag, and you look down on it ... it's right-side up.  Right?
ARGH!!!

I used some cording and one of those cord-lock things from an old backpack.  I think it's a great touch - I think I need to buy some of those; I like them!

Thanks for reading!

7 comments:

harrispen said...

I love it! Nice way to re-purpose those logos. I see you added a few Siberian themed logos too. I like to use those cord lock things on the knitters project bags. You can get them at Joann's (just 2 per pack) or in quantity online real cheap (if you think you could use 100 of them ;-).

Cindy

Shmoo said...

That is REALLY cool!

Huffle Mawson said...

It's a kind of Huffle Duffel! Love it.

Dawn Foster said...

I am a golfer and this is fabulous! What a great idea and you did a super job with it. Did your husband to go all of these tournaments or just buy the hats? If he went he's been to some terrific places.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

What a clever idea. Know it will be well used and loved. So...what about the hats>????

BeadedTail said...

That's a very clever idea for using those logos! It turned out fabulous! He's going to be the envy of the golf course!

Kylie and Jimmy said...

That is soo cute!! And it's a great size for a pup-pack, throw in some balls and toys and maybe a long leash and some treats and poop bags and you are all set for an adventure!! LOVE IT!

-Ali