Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Runner and a "Basket"

Ever have one of those fabrics that you just don't want to cut into small pieces?  (Let's not talk about the ones I don't want to cut at all...)  I've been toting around a LOT of fabs like that, to include a great Christmas fabric in lovely mauves and teals and golds that I bought in Korea. In like ... 1994 or 5 maybe? I was saving it for JUST the right project!

 Anywho... a friend of mine (thank you, Bobbie) described how to make a fun table runner that would allow me to keep a good piece of the fabric intact - and I just thought it would be perfect! Take a look:

IMG_4873 Table Runner

The colors aren't as harsh in person as in that photo.  I paired it with a white with gold metallic fabric that really lets the ornaments shine!  I just think it's gorgeous!

Click here for instructions for a very similar way to make your own.  It's REAL close to how I made this - except for the 10-minute part.  Please.  10 minutes?  I don't think so.  It takes the Guide Dog for the Color Blind and me that long to choose fabrics, let alone a coordinating quilt thread!  But that's pretty much how I made this one.

I thought the colors were a good "fit" with my sister-in-law's decor, so I decided this should go to her and my brother!  I had some fabric left and thought it would be fun to make a little fabric basket to go with it:

IMG_4969 Runner and basket

Perfect to hold Christmas cards, ornaments, greenery and lights ... ANYTHING!

IMG_4970 Runner and basket

Really, really fun to make!  I hope my s-i-l and brother enjoy them!

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. I know just how you feel about certain fabrics. The problem is that you can't buy any more of that fabric since they only have them out for one season so you want to make sure to use it on just the right project before waving goodbye.

    That fabric does look very nice. I like a lot of holiday fabrics...I think I have quite a few in my stash that I haven't done anything with yet...hmmmmm.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fabric is very pretty so it's great you were able to make something while leaving it whole! They'll love them! And if not, you can send it to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The fabric is just lovely - I can understand why you didn't want to chop it up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by; please leave a comment!