Thursday, October 15, 2009

Back to the Tour-o-Quilts

I finished an order for a Hold the Phone! Bag the other day, but it's been so dreary outside I don't have any really nice photos to show you yet. I'll be able to shoot some soon, I'm sure! In the meantime, how about we get back to the quilts? We're still in the dining room - in fact, here's the dining room table:


It's a paper-pieced Spider's Web, made from a pattern I found on the ...web. LOL, that was too fun. I just used scraps that have been hanging around the Studio for years and years. And years. I did a lot of machine quilting for the table runner, using up a couple "spool ends". The back is also scraps:



Too fun! I'll be replacing it with a wintry runner before too long.

On the wall is a wall-hanging I pieced in 1993 and hand quilted in 1995:



OK... so it takes me a while to get to the quilting sometimes...

This quilt is from a pattern called "Chop Suey":



It was one of those "sew things together, then cut them up, then sew them together in a different manner" quilts. A little confusing, but the pattern was well-written; I just had to pay attention and not "wing it" like I usually do. Here's a close up of the hand quilting:



A friend of mine quilted it for me. I did this years before we adopted the Guide Dog for the Color Blind. I made one Chop Suey quilt, intending it to be the soft blues and pinks you see above. Only... it was actually green and peach. Oops. Fortunately, my friend Carol LOVED it - so I gave her that top, in exchange for her quilting mine. :) We made it in December of 1992. Here's the back:



I turned a left-over block into a label. :) Carol chose her quilting to mimic Chinese coins and a wall paper border that she saw in a local Chinese restaurant. It's perfect!

We haven't quite wrapped up the dining room. Tune in again soon for more of "the show"! And if the sun comes out, the latest HTP! Bag!

Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. I love them all! Quilting looks like so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all so pretty! There's just something about quilts that makes a home feel welcoming and comforting. Well, that and furbabies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tulip one! At least, I hope they're tulips. Otherwise please delete this comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mommy says they're beautiful. She cant wait to get started on quilting! She'll be going to the quilt store next week. She wonders if you have any suggestions on what to start with, for beginners? Thanks!!

    Cheers,
    Maxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by; please leave a comment!