Thursday, March 15, 2012

Chain Link Runner - Part 2

Welcome back!  (See Part 1 here.)  Let's get to the next step:

Layout and sewing:

Lay out your cut strips according to this chart:

ChainLinkNumbered

See how across from each 4-1/2” strip there is a pair of 14-1/2” strips?

IMG_7075

Sew each of those pairs together, putting them back where you got them after you sew and press. (Color placement is important - don’t get your fabs mixed up!) Use a long table, the floor, or a design wall.

IMG_7087 Chain Link Runner
You  might have to work in segments...

Now sew each pair to the corresponding 4-1/2” strip. For example, the 14-1/2” strip pair of fab 1 and fab 3 will be sewn to the fab 2 4-1/2” strip. It will make tons of sense as you go. And remember - odd numbers are on one side, evens are on another. Tape, tape, tape! You might think you’ll remember where each one goes, then get distracted by ... I don’t know ... a Siberian Husky who thinks you need a break. Just for instance.  Not that I had to do a little "reverse sewing" this very afternoon.  ...or perhaps I did.  Ahem.

Each fabric in the 14-1/2”/14-1/2”/4-12” groups is different!

IMG_7078

Also, sew the fab 1 14-1/2” strip to the fab A 2-1/2” square - and the fab 14 14-1/2” strip to the fab Z 2-1/2” square.

IMG_7080

Once you’ve got all those 14-1/2”/14-1/2”/4-12” groups together, and your 14-1/2”/2-1/2” groups together, put those ALL together to form your table runner. Nothing to match up ... just easy sewing!

IMG_7083 Chain Link Runner
Keep sewing groups to groups!

I couldn't believe how fast it came together!

Here's my top, all put together! 

IMG_7106 Chain Link Runner

Yea! Pretty cool, huh? Let's get the hubby to hold it up outside, for a good look at it!

IMG_7109 Finished top, Chain Link Runner
I the Kansas wind.  And my patient husband!!!

Let's find a calmer corner of the deck...

IMG_7108 Chain Link Runner
Finished Chain Link Runner top!

I've started piecing my binding; I decided it would be easier just to leave everything cut at 2-1/2", since I'm working from scraps.  I think a bit wider binding than I normally work with wouldn't be a bad idea for this runner!

Tomorrow, I hope to choose a backing and perhaps get quilting!

Is anyone else cutting or sewing yet?  Please remember to add your photos to the FlickR group!

Thanks for sewing along and for reading!

4 comments:

  1. That fabric is so cheerful! I have no idea how to do what it says but I love the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may take me a few day to get started, but I have a jelly roll that needs something to do.

    I love how yours turned out. The colors are right up my alley. Does the next installment show how you quilt it?

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just beautiful! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by; please leave a comment!