Sunday, January 25, 2009

Decisions, Decisions...

Sometimes I think the hardest part of the bag process is choosing the fabs, where to put which fab, which thread to quilt with... and making all those choices that will make the bag YOURS!  It's also the most fun.  :)  

I'm currently working on Chrissie's Deeve Bag.  I got hung up with the fab selection.  I thought I had everything chosen to fit what I see as "her", and set it aside to be sure.  I kept looking at the stack-o-fabs, and it just .... wasn't doing it.  I started over yesterday, had great input from Dave, Guide Dog for the Color Blind (you should have heard the "wooing" in the Studio when I tried to put the "wrong" green with my focus fabric!), my hubby, and the Macon Bag-a-holic (via iPhone pix!).  Thanks to one and all for your input, guidance, and letting me ramble.  Here's what I/we came up with.


Nothing had been sewn at that point, just laid out to get an idea.  I had some other pretty wild things going, but since the paisley is already a bit of a stretch for Chrissie, I thought I'd go a bit more conservative.  If you can call a green/blue/lavender batik with gold crackling through it "conservative".  LOL.

I got the plackets stitched up, the batting cut, and got the outer part of the bag ready to quilt.

That started the next round of decisions - what to quilt it with!  My husband and I had just hit Topeka Friday on a PetsMart mission, and we swung by Fabric Corner.  I'd never been and was mighty pleased with our stop.  All I really wanted was bobbins for the Bernina (how exciting!) but the King Tut thread called to me.  Without really having a plan for it, I picked up a couple spools of "Cairo" -- 

As you can see, my Quality Control Expert, Zim, likes this color.  It comes close to matching his blue eye in this picture, but in reality has more green in it.  I seriously think the King Tut people should come up with "Siberian Blue" - don't you?

It's in contention to be used in Chrissie's Deeve Bag, along with a couple YLIs and an Aurifil:

I'm not sure.  Right now, the Aurifil (lower left hand) is in first place.  I intend to have it all laid out in front of me while I'm on the treadmill this afternoon.  I'm at my most creative when I'm working out.  Or in the shower.  It's drier in the workout room.  :)

That's what's going on here!  Thanks for reading!
KZK

7 comments:

  1. I like the lower left colour the most too - I think it goes perfectly with the colours in the fabrics. Another good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Huffle!

    More nice work!

    I know they were khompensated but please make sure your paw-ssistants were paid!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the others! I love the fabric choice and of course admire your quality control expert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful color mix! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, I am biased, I do like the paisley patten, the colours are all just beautiful to be honest, I don't know how you would make a final choice.

    My best decisions strangely are also made in the shower, or on the dog walk!

    Take care, Jeannie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the Cairo. But, I like the Aurefil, too. Decisions, decisions. I'm gonna leave it up to you and your color guide dog. I think he needs an extra treat to help with such a difficult decision!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ANOTHER fab bag in the works!!!
    Hugs,
    Shelli

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by; please leave a comment!