Today, I thought I'd share with you a long-time UFO (unfinished object) that I've finally wrapped up. This one is 3-D Pinwheels.
I led an on-line group through how to make this quite a few years ago, quilted it a year or two ago, and just now got the binding on. I can't find the exact tutorial I used to learn the method, but another can be found at this link; it's a fun and easy pattern! The "blades" of the pinwheels are actually prairie points.
Here are a few close-ups:
As you can see, I added in a bunch of buttons - I think I used about 5 or 6 different colors. I didn't feel like my quilting was "enough" and the buttons added yet another dimension. My FaceBook friends helped me make the decision, and I think it was a great one!
The fabric is a very lightweight woven cotton - sort of a madras plaid with a huge floral over it. I bought it maybe back in '89 or '90? I remember my quilting mentor asking if I was SURE I wanted to work with something like that and I assured her that yes, I was sure! I was a sucker for the colors. The fact that it took this long for me to use it and the words I used while using it are an indicator that I probably should have listened to her. LOL! But hey, I still think it's gorgeous fabric!
Let's have a look at the back:
I used on of the same white-on-whites as I used on the front. I know ... it's hard to tell, but I used two different background fabrics on the front, as backgrounds for the pinwheels, making a 9-patch pattern. Check it out in the photo at the top of this post. It's way too subtle. Oh well.
Here's a close-up of the back, just so you can see the print:
I quilted it using a jewel-toned variegated thread by YLI - and tied the buttons on with the same.
It's good to finish up another UFO. It would be seriously embarrassing to tell you how many more there are in the stack -- but I will get to them!
Thanks for reading!
PS: I've edited yesterday's post to include a link to the pattern I used for the table runner.